Rapper of the week: Method Man

I want to share my love for hip-hop with the world and to do so I will shine light on a different rapper every week. Here is the first installment.

Two years ago I was lucky enough to go to a Method Man concert at the University of Texas. Before that night I had always laughed about Method Man because of his stoner comedies and undying love for marijuana but his performance opened my eyes to the talent and humor that is Method Man.


Method Man, or Meth, was one of the founding members of the Wu-Tang Clan and after the success of their debut Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) Meth launched his own solo career. He has since released four solo albums and two albums with friend and frequent collaborator Redman.

What separates Method Man from the rest of the rap industry is his ability to very successfully mix humor into his rhymes. They're usually rude, crude, and fairly profane but he plays with the words in ways most other rappers spend their entire careers trying to master. His voice manages to be smooth and raspy at the same time.

Suggested Tracks:
M.E.T.H.O.D. Man by the Wu Tang Clan
I'll Be There For You by Method Man feat. Mary J. Blige
City Light by Redman & Method Man feat. U.G.K.

0 comments:

Post a Comment