Top 5: Steven Karp

Last time I posted about my top 5 T.V. characters I mentioned how watching Futurama made me feel better about being away from home my freshmen year, that Christmas Undeclared sort of did the opposite. It made me miss the experience of feeling alone and completely starting over at the beginning of freshmen year.

Undeclared, created by Judd Apatow, is the story of a dorky high school student, Steven Karp played by Jay Baruchel, and his glorious transformation as he starts his freshmen year at the University of North Eastern California. The show didn't truly represent college life but it did an incredible job of capturing the strange, uncomfortable feelings that accompany starting life in at a new school.

I, like Steven Karp, was pretty nerdy in High School. It was never an issue. I was never teased for it. In fact I had a lot of friends and people, for the most part, liked me. The same couldn't be said for Karp. The show never went into too much detail but it is maid evident that High School wasn't a good experience for the guy and college is his chance to become a new man.

He's awkward. He's lame. He tries to hard. He is just like we all where when we were freshman and for that I love him.

Undeclared was canceled after one season. Maybe it was for the better. Freshman year only lasts a year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment