Strange Games of 00's Vol. 2

Part 2 of my "Games I shouldn't have liked...but did of the last ten years" list.

2002: Car Battler Joe (GBA)
Terrible graphics, stupid title, and a dumb story usually make for an awful game, but that isn't the case with "Car Battler Joe." You play Joe, a 16 year old boy looking for adventure, as he begins his career as a car battler. You save up money to buy new parts for your battle dune buggy. The game has you run errands and battle other car battlers to earn money. The thing that drew me to this game was the customization of the cars. You bought and equipped new weapons, engines, and armor and that's the kind of stuff I love. I really don't recall any story or any of the characters, just customized the crap out of my car and battling people.

2003: Downhill Domination (Ps2)
Before "Downhill Domination" I had no idea that the whole world of downhill mountain biking existed. "Downhill Domination" is an extreme sports racing game that sends you barreling down mountains atop a mountain bike. I don't know how I stumbled upon this game but when it wound up in my hands I couldn't put it down. How could a premise that I had no interest in be so freaking fun? The game shows speed better than almost any game I've ever played, half the time you are playing you almost feel like you can't even do anything but keep pedaling and hope for the best. If you play your cards right while your are riding you can find water bottles, rocks, and stick to hurl at your competitors. The only problem with the game? None of my friends ever wanted to play with me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment