Top 5: Phillip J. Fry

When Futurama first premiered on Fox back in 1999 I couldn't be happier. At the time didn't fully understand what series creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen where trying to create with the show but as far as I was concerned it was going to be The Simpsons in the future...it wasn't, and I was very disappointed.

Cut to my freshman year in college when I saw the series DVDs on sale. This time around I watched a hilarious, deep and sometimes very sad story about a guy whose is, for the most part, completely and utterly alone in a world that is not his own. The guy was Phillip J. Fry who after being cryogenically frozen for a thousand years had to go from being a loser pizza delivery boy that lives at home with his parents to a futuristic space delivery man working for his great(x30) nephew.

The show is a comedy, there is no doubt about that but it is a lot different than shows like the Simpson and Family Guy. The characters, as crazy as they where, where much more realistic. They had feelings, goals and dreams that they wanted to achieve. You could sympathize with them. And for me being someone who was living away from home for the first time in a completely new place I related a lot to Fry. Sure he's dumb, but he's also dedicated. The guy spends the better part of fours seasons and four straight to DVD movies fighting for the love of his one eyed purple haired co-worker Turanga Leela. Our situations weren't identical but watching Futurama was something that always made me feel like everything would end up ok, and it did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment