My Take: Hottest MCs in the Game

Earlier this month MTV released it's list of the "Hottest MCs in the Game" and as per usual I'm a little bit disappointed. The list of course isn't made with my personal tastes in mind, because let me assure it would look quite a bit different, but I can usually understand why they put the rappers where they do. It is all about mainstream rappers and what they put out and do each year. Without further ado, the list:

1. Jay-Z
2. Lil Wayne
3. Drake
4. Kanye West
5. Rick Ross
6. Gucci Mane
7. Young Jeezy
8. Fabolous
9. 50 Cent
10. Raekwon

So what don't I like? Gucci Mane and Fabolous don't deserve a spots on this list.

Gucci Mane got lucky this year, he was featured on a couple songs that recieved a lot of radio play(Mariah Carey's "Obsessed" and Trey Songz's "LOL :-)") and he put out one single that just recently started getting play ("Wasted"). But I've yet to hear him spit a single verse that impressed me. As far as I'm concered he is just a less talented Soulja Boy, and lets be honest Soulja Boy doesnt have much when it comes to musical talent.

Fabolous isn't the worst, in fact I really enjoy his latest single "Everything, Everyday, Everywhere" but there is something about him that just annoys the crap out of me. All he did this year was annoy radio listeners with "Throw it in the Bag" and release a concept album based on the 1993 crime drama Carlito's Way. I don't think a average rapper having a decent year merits the honor of being called 2009's 8th hottest MC.

Who should be on instead? Well first and foremost Emienem. Seem incredibly obvious to me. Within the last year the man has returned from hiatus, released the highly succesful Relapse, was called out on Mariah Carey's Obsessed and precided to destroy her on a single called "The Warning, KILLED on Drake's "Forever" and had a cameo in Judd Apatow's Funny People. If that's not enough to to get you on to the top ten list than I don't think anyone should on the list.

I'd also put Kid Cudi on the list. I don't really care too much for his music but he's had a good year. New album came out. His first single "Day 'N' Nite" has been constantly playing on radio stations for the better part of the year and his brilliant "Make Her Say" feat. Common and Kanye West has just started making its rounds. All that plus two magazine covers, his own custom Bape T-Shirt and solid rhyming skills.

Other than I'm pretty happy. I would probably move a couple around but for the most part the list is fairly accurate.

Any opinions?

Source: MTV

0 comments:

Post a Comment